Click on the periodical link for a list of past articles.
Sign up for email alerts whenever one of my articles is published online at my Authory page: authory.com/HeatherZeiger
- August 19, 2020: “Work After the Pandemic”–Maybe there are some things that don’t need to go back to normal
- December 8, 2020: “Coronavirus Vaccine Ethics”— A look at the major ethical considerations regarding the COVID-19 vaccines
- January 20, 2021: “Lawyer Turned Citizen Journalist in China Turns Up Again–in Jail”–She has been sentenced to four years in prison for “picking quarrels and stirring up trouble,” a crime in China
- January 11, 2021: “Chinese Entrepreneur Jack Ma Missing After Criticizing the Party”–If even Jack Ma can just disappear in China’s high tech world, is anyone safe?
- December 30, 2020: “How Bias Can Be Coded Into Unthinking Programs”–MIT researcher Joy Buolamwini started the project as a trivial “bathroom mirror” message
- December 16, 2020: “Hi Tech and China: The Long Game re Spying in the United States”–The relationship between California’s Eric Swalwell and Fang Fang could be a thriller. But they say it really happened
- December 6, 2020: “China’s Door-to-Door Census Now Identifies Religious Believers”–Census takers are urged to keep their eyes open for evidence of religious activity
- November 25, 2020: “China’s Eyes Are Watching Africa Closely”–In exchange for help with high-tech communication systems, China gets to install mass surveillance technology
- November 13, 2020: “China and Africa: Debt-Trap Diplomacy?”–The story of China helping Africa modernize resists simple formulas
- November 5, 2020: “COVID-19 Response Exposes Racism in China, Amid Harmony Claims”–The lid blew off when African leaders broke the accustomed silence imposed by their dependence on Chinese high-tech loans
- November 1, 2020: “Can We Make Brains in a Dish? Can We Make Minds in a Dish?”–Experiments with brain organoids have left many wondering whether we should be concerned about creating brains-in-a-dish
- October 18, 2020: “How China’s Technocracy Uses the Pandemic to Suppress Religion”–The pandemic provided a pretext to install surveillance equipment in churches and surveil believers online
- October 12, 2020: “China: COVID-19’s True History Finds an Unlikely Home–GitHub”–The last repository of free speech on the internet where censored stories are stored
- September 28, 2020: “High-Tech Suppression of China’s Mongol Region Provokes Protests”–Mongolian protesters against Chinese-dominated schools are threatened with loss of social credit, which means no jobs or loans
- Winter, 2020: Biohazards Column: “Eugenicide” –China’s brutal treatment & suppression of Uyghur Muslims
- Fall, 2020: Casualty Report: “Megadeath” –A timeline of plagues and pandemics
- Fall, 2020: Biohazards Column: “Disaster Ethics & the Trouble with Triage” –What do you do when there is not enough medical supplies?
- Spring, 2020: Biohazards Column : “Mindless Attempts” –cerebral organoids and whether they can ever become “brains-in-a-dish” (by subscription only)
- Spring 2020 Issue: “Stopping the Flu Virus”–A profile of professor Hana Dobrovolny and her work modeling the flu virus
- Spring 2019 Issue: “Our Uneasy Tranquility”–American’s use of anti-anxiety medication has skyrocketed. Should we be worried?
- March 23, 2020: “Coronavirus: Explanations and Ethical Issues”–How does a virus work and what bioethical issues should we consider during the pandemic?
Over 100 articles from 2015 to 2017.
Past Publications (Click the link to view articles):